Ten Top Immune-Boosting Foods
What you eat has a huge impact on how well your immune system is able to function. Eating whole, nutrient-dense foods offers your body the building blocks it needs for optimal immunity—and optimal health—in any season.
- Garlic—antimicrobial and stimulates the immune system
- Fish oil—omega-3’s increase phagocytic activity and strengthen cell membranes
- Leafy greens—high in B vitamins, minerals, and beta-carotene
- Berries—packed with antioxidants to deal with the aftermath of immune battles
- Citrus—high in vitamin C and other bioflavonoids
- Chicken Soup—delicious, digestible, and familiar; it’s also nutrient-rich
- Ginger—antioxidant, antimicrobial, and warming to fend off colds
- Elderberry—loaded with antioxidants and helps your cells hide from viruses
- Carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes—packed with beta-carotene and other phytonutrients
- Mushrooms—high in immune-boosting polysaccharides
Besides keeping yourself well-nourished, get outside for sunshine and a walk every day, allow for plenty of rest, and spend some time in good company—all activities that will support excellent immunity.
For more free seasonal wellness information and tips from Tai Sophia's Herbal Medicine department, home of the nation's first and only Master of Science in Herbal Medicine, check out our FREE Herbal Medicine Lunch-Time Lecture series on Mondays this fall.